Last Updated 22 February, 2018
- The Mars Diary Programme and its associated website (www.marsdiary.org) are operated by Curved House Kids, a UK Limited Company with registration number 09821193, registered office at 60 Farringdon Road, London EC1R 3GA.
- By accessing the Website you agree to abide by any and all of the following Terms and Conditions governing use of the website and any products and/or resources distributed through it. Curved House Kids may change these Terms and Conditions from time to time. It is your responsibility to check the Terms and Conditions regularly. You will be deemed to have accepted any amended Terms and Conditions if you continue to make use of the Website after a change to the Terms and Conditions has been made.
The Mars Diary Programme
- The Mars Diary programme is a free programme open to schools in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It is a non-profit programme funded by the UK Space Agency, as part of its ExoMars education outreach.
- Curved House Kids will make available 10,000 copies of Mars Diary book available for free via its website. An additional 5000 copies of the Mars Diary book will be made available via ESERO-UK’s Space Ambassador network. These books are referred to in these Terms and Conditions as ‘free books’.
- Free books will be made available in Class Packs of books, which contain 30 copies of the Mars Diary. Single copies of the Mars Diary, including Home Educator Packs, are not included in the definition of free books.
- All schools registering during the Early Bird registration period will enter the draw to receive one Class Pack of books for free, delivered to their school. Curved House Kids will allocate free books first to schools in areas of high levels of deprivation and education under-achievement, as determined by the school receiving a high percentage of free school meals. All remaining free books will be allocated according to the order of registration, on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis.
- Only schools in the UK are eligible to enter the draw for free books. Free books are not available to Home Educators or other education groups.
- Free books will be allocated to schools at the discretion of Curved House Kids. Discussion about this allocation will not be entered.
- All Mars Diary resources are available digitally for free to registered users via marsdiary.org, once the full Mars Diary programme has launched.
- Mars Diary Books and Welcome Packs will available for order from the bookshop once registrations open. Books and orders will be delivered from late March 2018.
- Mars Diary resources may be reproduced for educational purposes but may not be sold or repackaged in any way without written permission from Curved House Kids.
Programme Eligibility and Registration
- To register for the Mars Diary:
- You must be 18 years or older.
- You must be a teacher, staff member at a school, a home educator or an adult working in an education role within a non-school organisation (e.g. a Scout group or after-school programme).
- Individual students are not eligible for registration.
- Registrants confirm that learning materials including books will be used to facilitate learning activities within the registered school/education environment and will not be distributed elsewhere.
- By registering for this programme you agree to allow Curved House Kids, the UK Space Agency and/or the ESERO-UK/UK STEM to contact you.
- By using the Website you agree to use it for lawful purposes. The Website may not be used to harass, cause distress or inconvenience any individual person or organisation. You may not use the Website to publish, post, distribute, disseminate or otherwise transmit defamatory, obscene, indecent or offensive content or to cause or promote an unlawful act.
- You agree not to attempt to obtain unauthorised access through whatever means to any part of the Website which is restricted and to which you are not entitled to access.
- You agree not to engage in offensive or harmful behaviour through Curved House Kids and/or Mars Diary social media channels, including the transmission of defamatory, obscene, indecent or offensive content or to cause or promote an unlawful act.
- All copyright, trademarks, design rights, patents, brand, business name and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) in and on the Website and all content (including, but not limited to, text, graphics, photographs, applications and information) on the site belong to Curved House Kids or its licensors (which includes other users), or appears with the permission of others who own the intellectual property rights. The materials on this Website are protected by, inter alia, copyright. You may use materials freely for educational purposes, research and private study but may not, for profit or any other purpose, reproduce or transmit those materials or any part of those materials in any other form or by any means without the prior written consent of Curved House Kids. Subject to that, use of the Website does not confer a right or licence to use any copyright, design right or trademark of Curved House Kids.
- Where downloads of third party software are made available on the Website, they are owned by the third party licensor in question and will be subject to any Terms and Conditions applied by the relevant licensor.
- Other owners and/or operators of websites may not link to the Website for commercial purposes without the prior written consent of Curved House Kids. Links may be established for non-commercial purposes but that link must not open the Website within a frame of another website.
Certain parts of the Website may only be accessed using a password. Curved House Kids may issue you with a password, but is under no obligation to do so and reserves the right to refuse to issue you with a password without reason. In the event that you are provided with a password to make use of any part of the Website, you must keep that password confidential.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
- Curved House Kids is not responsible for any content posted by members of the public on the Website or for the availability or content of any third party sites (i.e. those controlled by parties other than Curved House Kids including those that may claim to be a “partner” of or “licensed by” Curved House Kids) that are accessible through the Website. Any links to third party websites from the Website do not amount to an endorsement of that site by Curved House Kids and any use of that site by you is at your own risk.
- The majority of content posted as articles and blogs is created by Curved House Kids. Additional content has been created by the general public, STEM professionals or teachers, educators or parents registered for the Mars Diary programme. The views expressed in additional content are those of their author and unless specifically stated are not those of Curved House Kids.
- The Website is provided on an “as is” basis and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, Curved House Kids excludes all representations or warranties (whether express or implied by law), including implied warranties of satisfactory quality, accuracy and suitability for purpose. While Curved House Kids uses reasonable endeavours to ensure that the content of the Website is accurate, it accepts no responsibility for errors, omissions or inaccurate content. Except for death or personal injury arising through the negligence of Curved House Kids, Curved House Kids shall not be liable whatsoever for any loss or damage arising from use or reliance on any of the content of the Website and/or use of the Website and/or use of Mars Diary programme activities and resources.
- Curved House Kids uses reasonable endeavours to ensure a fast and reliable service, but excludes to the fullest extent permitted by law any liability for disruption of the Website, however caused, and/or for the security of the services on the Website. By using the Website you accept that Curved House Kids does not warrant that the server or servers that make the Website available are free of viruses or bugs and that it is your responsibility to implement sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the data that you send to or receive from the Website.
- Unless otherwise stated, Curved House Kids makes no warranty whatsoever as to any goods or services purchased or obtained or offered through use of the Website whether directly or otherwise. Any relationship that you may enter into with a third party is a matter solely for you and the third party and Curved House Kids shall not be liable for any consequences whatsoever and however they may arise from that relationship.
- Curved House Kids Ltd Photography Policy:
The safety of children is a priority for Curved House Kids Ltd. and therefore it is crucial that all staff and freelancers, and anyone working with Curved House Kids Ltd., respect the following guidelines pertaining to photographs of minors. Photographs published by Curved House Kids Ltd. in any format must meet the following criteria:
- Children’s surnames must not appear in the photograph captions. If a child is named, avoid using the photograph.
- Parent/guardian permission must be obtained for a child to be photographed and/or videoed.
- Images supplied to Curved House Kids Ltd. by schools must be accompanied by confirmation from the school that the permissions have been cleared. This must be in writing.
- Children must be wearing suitable clothing.
- Images must not be accompanied by information about specific children, including surnames, hobbies or interests, or addresses.
- Photographers working on behalf of Curved House Kids Ltd. and attending events at schools or other locations must adhere to the following terms:
- Obtain permission from the child to photograph them and/or use their image.
- Ask for the Photography Policy of the school or venue the event is taking place in.
- Do not photograph any children who have not had permission cleared. For example, at some events children wearing lanyards must not be photographed.
- Never photograph a child unsupervised.
- Never photograph a child outside of an event or at their home.
- By submitting photographs to the Website you confirm that you and your organisation are acting in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 as a Data Controller and that you have the permission of individuals contained in the photographs to submit these images.
- By submitting photographs to the Website you confirm that these photographs may be used by Curved House Kids without time limit and for any purpose and in any media, for example, marketing material, websites, Curved House Kids publications, educational material etc. They may be circulated to the media in press releases or for promotional purposes. Curved House Kids will not give any third parties permission to use the photographs for advertising purposes.
- By submitting to the Website photographs of any individual under the age of 16, you confirm that you have obtained the permission of that individual’s parent/guardian to provide photographs to Curved House Kids.
By making use of the Website, you agree to indemnify Curved House Kids and any of its trustees, directors, officers, employees and agents harmless from and against all and any expenses, losses, liabilities, damages and costs incurred or suffered and any claims or legal proceedings which are brought or threatened arising from your use of or conduct on the Website and/ or a breach of the Terms and Conditions of use of the Website.
Termination of Access to the Website
- Curved House Kids may terminate the provision of the Website or restrict your access to all or any part of the Website if any event beyond its reasonable control prevents Curved House Kids from continuing to provide the Website.
- Curved House Kids retains the absolute right with or without notice to prevent you accessing the Website in part or its entirety where at the sole discretion of Curved House Kids it is considered that you are contravening or have breached the Terms and Conditions of use of this Website.
Non-enforcement of the Rights of Curved House Kids
In the event that Curved House Kids does not exercise or enforce any right in these Terms and Conditions, this does not waive the Curved House Kids’s right to enforce that right at a later date or on another occasion.
Validity of these Terms and Conditions
If any of the Terms and Conditions for the use of the Website are determined to be unlawful, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these Terms and Conditions are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that Term and Condition is unlawful, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be deleted from these Terms and Conditions and the remaining Terms and Conditions shall continue to be binding and enforceable.
Jurisdiction and Choice of Law
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales which shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes.
If you have any queries concerning any part of these Terms and Conditions and the privacy and cookie policies, please contact: email@example.com
- A cookie is a text-only string of information that passes to your computer’s hard disk through your web browser so that the Website can remember who you are. Cookies cannot be used by themselves to identify you although they may be used to identify your IP address. A cookie will typically contain the name of the domain from which the cookie has come, the ‘lifetime’ of the cookie, and a value, usually a randomly generated unique number.
- The Mars Diary website uses three types of cookies in its Shop cart, to keep track of data:
- Two cookies contain information about the cart as a whole and help the Website’s eCommerce tools know when the cart data changes.
- The third cookie contains a unique code for each customer so that it knows where to find the cart data in the database for each customer. No personal information is stored within these cookies.